- - - WELCOME TO MY MIND - - -

Thursday, July 06, 2006

The Midweek Jibe - Wk: 28 '06

I recently viewed a delightful movie, "Ladies in Lavender", where two older sisters, Janet (Maggie Smith) and Ursula (Judi Dench), live together by the seaside in Cornwall (England). The movie isn't plot driven, so this isn't a spoiler. One day, a young (early 20s) man is washed up on shore. They rescue [Andrea] and nurse him back to health. Janet is a widow, her husband was killed in the war. Ursula has never been married, and has never even been in love. They both take a shine to this beautiful young man, but Ursula falls in love with him. Having never experienced being in love, this is all uncharted territory for her. Janet reminds her that "he's just a boy", and tells her that she's being ridiculous and naive. To which Ursula replies, "Of course I'm being naive, how could I be otherwise." When Andrea, who happens to be a violin virtuoso, leaves suddenly to pursue a career as a musician, Ursula is heartbroken ...a definite kleenex moment.

The movie is punctuated with points of subtle humor in the form of witty dialogue. The musical score, (written by Nigel Hess), is outstanding. Hess conducts the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, with Joshua Bell playing the violin.

This movie has no car chases, no violence of any sort, no drugs, no profanity -- or even any harsh language, no nudity, no sex -- not even a kiss (other than the greeting type). It's all about emotion.

It's definitely a "chick flick", if that type of classification is relevant to you. It's in the same vein as "Enchanted April", and "87 Charing Cross Road". I can't recommend it, since it would probably be terribly boring to someone who doesn't like this type of film, but for those of you who do, it's a treasure. But then, I love the performances of Dames Maggie and Judi.
-- All non-relevant comments will be (have been) deleted!

9 Comment(s):



Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny that when you said "Ladies in Lavender", I immediatley thought your blog was another dodgy site obsessed with adult movies. Funny because I've seen ladies in lavender so I should know, and also funny because the thought of those ladies being in anyway physically exposed is quite harrowing.

06 July, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure I will love it if it has Dame Judy Dench in it. I vaguely remember seeing a preview for it. It sounds sophisticated and very touching and Judy Dench is an incredible actress.

Funny. You're watchig chick flicks and I went and saw the new Superman last night. It was a fun movie but for all the typical hollywood reasons. It was loud, colorful, cheesy romantic, action-packed and full of computer graphics. I had fun, though. I liked it.

06 July, 2006  
 


Blogger gieau_sf said...

Gloria: So that a thumbs up, then? I'd planned on seeing it [eventually}. Sometimes, loud and cheesy is just the ticket :)

06 July, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Definitely a good picture, I saw it also, and wished that I had taped it, not sure I would ever be able to find it again. It is the kind of movie I can watch more than once. Exactly my kind of movie. I wish they made more movies with "Real" people.

06 July, 2006  
 


Blogger gieau_sf said...

Nea:
...I wish they made more movies with "Real" people....
Me too. Which is why I'm such a fan of non-Hollywood films. Even many of the so-called "independent" films fail to depict real people in real situations.

06 July, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wrote down both of the movies that you mentioned, and now I will try to find them. That is where I always have trouble, there have been many films that slipped under the radar at the theaters, but I know they are pictures I would enjoy. Often the places like blockbuster, if they have them, have only one copy, and if it isn't rented often, they sell it off. So I can never find them. I have a very small collection of these films, ones I would call sleepers. Chick flicks I guess also fit, but not necessarily love stories, just true emotion and entertaining. Another of my favorites is "Under the Tuscan Sun." Worth watching if you haven't seen it.

06 July, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a movie that would be just
to my taste. But so are the XMen movies or Supermen movies or the 'Sideways' type of movies...

08 July, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wonder if they have it on netflix. i will go look for it now!

09 July, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved this movie. Also The Red Violin, Belizaire the Cajun (very old movie) and Amelie for the same reasons you expressed. The aren't particularly violent, action, wild movies--just deeply moving.
oh hell, if I add Clay Pigeons, The Constant Gardener and The Bulletproof Heart I've just listed every one of my all time favorite movies.
And uh, this one was about me, huh?

11 July, 2006  
 

Post a Comment

<< Home