- - - WELCOME TO MY MIND - - -

Thursday, June 29, 2006

The Midweek Jibe - Wk: 27 '06

We (San Francisco Bay Area) just recently concluded the last of three "Spare The Air" days. This is when motorists are encouraged to leave their cars at home and use public transportation. All (well, most) of the transportation modes were free (e.g. MUNI, BART, Ferries, etc). Yes, free. Of course the various agencies can't afford to do this but three days a year and we've just used up our allotment. I haven't seen any of the air quality statistics, but there was a noticeable decrease in the number of cars whizzing about.

Is this a good thing? Well, yes for all the obvious reasons, and also no. No, because all the people -- the ones I see riding solo in huge tank-size vehicles; the ones I see driving and talking on cells; the ones I feel are the major contributors to air, noise, and traffic pollution -- they were all on public transportation. I use public transpiration, I've always used public transpiration. As I was pushing my way onto crowded buses and jockeying for seats on BART, all I could think was, "Why don't all these people just get back in their cars!"
-- All non-relevant comments will be (have been) deleted!

7 Comment(s):



Anonymous Anonymous said...

we have nada for public transportation where we live. there are some private organizations that will transport folks around to appointments if they need it. but you need to make an appointment with them.
i miss public transportation.
i used to use it all the time in Germany.

29 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha, yeh, and people who only travel public transportation on a three day a year basis haven't a clue how best to even use the service. I bet they do get in the way........

29 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Corr...there's no pleasing some people!

30 June, 2006  
 


Blogger gieau_sf said...

Schaumi: There are areas, (like southern Calif.), where cars are definitely a necessity. I've always lived in metropolitan areas with most adequate transporation infrastructures ...where cars are always viewed as an inconvenience and annoyance. Except, of course, by those driving the cars.

Nea: They sure did get in the way. Now that things are back to normal, I much prefer bitching about the traffic, pollution, etc. :) As Lee said, "there's no pleasing some people." That would've made a great title for this post, that or "be careful what you wish for".

30 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I thought the phrase was 'on yer bike'.

30 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

lol...i bet it was crowded! i miss riding the bus. here in the south where i live now...everyone drives a car. it seems more lonely. on the bus i felt more a part of things.

01 July, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I do not know a Cosmo Kramer; nor, by all accounts, woould I wish to.

'Cosmo' is a long standing and revered family name going back several centuries. I would thank you to treat it with respect. (*sniff*)

04 July, 2006  
 

Post a Comment

<< Home