- - - WELCOME TO MY MIND - - -

Thursday, June 22, 2006

The Midweek Jibe - Wk: 26 '06

When I was very young, money was tight, so to bring in extra income, Mom would take in laundry ...specifically shirts. Now everyone knows a hand laundered shirt is far superior to that of any laundry. As a result, [she] had much more business than she could handle ...so she called out the troops (i.e. me). Consequently, at a very young age, I learned how to iron a shirt ...to perfection. In addition to spoiling me in favor of hand laundered shirts, I ended up hating ironing.

When I became an adult, and the expense of "sending my shirts out" was not an issue, I did so despite my dissatisfaction with the quality of the work. I hated ironing more. Even when I tried a "French" laundry, (where the shirts are washed by machine but ironed by hand), that didn't work out either. The cost was prohibitive and the quality of the work was not that much better.

Then recently, my local "Chinese" laundry raised its prices yet again, and it's gotten to the point were my unwillingness to go along with this "inflation" has finally out-weighed my dislike of ironing. So I'm back to doing my own shirts. The good thing in this is that now I finally get to have my shirts done right.
-- All non-relevant comments will be (have been) deleted!

11 Comment(s):



Anonymous Anonymous said...

I iron almost everything I wear, everyday. I can't stand wrinkled shirts, even t-shirts but especially button down shirts. I get really picky, too. Even the seams have to all go the same direction when I press them down. Unlike you, I actually rather enjoy ironing, though. But you're right that it can be awfully time consuming.

22 June, 2006  
 


Blogger gieau_sf said...

So you like to iron, huh? Maybe we can't work something out :)

Or perhaps I could use your technique to make it more enjoyable ...doing it half-naked.

22 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know....
let's all send our laundry to gloria jean to be ironed....:)

i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOATH ironing.

22 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

i luv washing clothes...i dunno' why...

23 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mum used to iron everything but one day she had a vision, a moment of truth and light, where she realised that sheets and pillow cases could go unironed, hankies and underwear didn't need it.

I iron my shirts and jeans; nothing else needs it. Even the jeans are fine if they are spread out flat, hot from the dryer. My wife will iron all sorts of stuff but that is her decision, not mine.

23 June, 2006  
 


Blogger gieau_sf said...

Schaumi: Sounds like a plan. We can send the laundry to Lux :) since she "luvs washing", then forward it to Gloria to be ironed.

Lee: You're right, nothing else needs it ...except perhaps the table cloth. Nothing undermines the look of a nicely set table like the creases where the table cloth was folded. :)

23 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds like a plan...
our laundry will be travelling more than we will though...

23 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point. A table cloth can be on the I-list.

23 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are making me feel sooooooooooo
lazy. :)

25 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first year in high school my Mom got cancer, didn't have a Dad, and Mom wasn't they type to go on welfare, so I had to get a job. Kind of hard to do when you are still in school. The local school superintendents wife hired me to work for her, and one of my jobs was ironing her husbands white shirts. I scortched two before I learned. Luckily she had a kind nature. I ironed as many as 12 shirts a week. To this day I don't iron anything. It goes from the dryer to a hanger and if should get wrinkles in the meantime, so be it. My iron has dust on it.........

But then I care not at all what I look like..............it is different if you have to go out in the work force. I work from my bedroom. NO not what you are thinking. haha

29 June, 2006  
 


Blogger gieau_sf said...

The shirts I referred to in the post, I'm still in the process of "going to" iron them. They did, in fact, go from the dryer to the hanger. I don't know if my iron has dust on it or not, I still haven't gotten it down. I will eventually (he says with absolutely no conviction).

...and no I wasn't thinking that ...honestly, I wasn't ...well maybe just for a nano-second :)

29 June, 2006  
 

Post a Comment

<< Home