- - - WELCOME TO MY MIND - - -

Thursday, June 08, 2006

The Midweek Jibe - Wk: 24 '06

While watching the film "Sideways" (a film that revolved around the appreciation of fine wines), there was a bit of dialog that went like this ...I'm paraphrasing here:

1st guy: Open that bottle of wine.
2nd guy: What is it?
1st guy: It's a Pinot Noir.
2nd guy: How can it be a Pinot Noir, it's not red?
1st guy: It's the skin that makes it red; without the skin, it's white.

This piqued my interest since I luuuuuuuvvvvvvv pinot noir. I went to my local wine shop, called other shops around the city, and searched all over the web. Nobody had ever seen or heard of a "white" pinot noir ...although they all conceded that one could possibly exist.

Then, on my last visit to the wine shop, Mike, the clerk, says, "Hey, I watched that movie, Sideways. Guess what? They were talking about sparkling wine."

With that, he shows me a bottle of blanc de noir, which is a common enough sparkling wine made from the pinot noir grape -- without the skin. It was a relief to finally have the answer to that puzzle.

I would've bought the wine ...just for the curiosity of it... except I don't particularly care for sparkling wines. I say that I've never really "liked" sparking wines, but then, I've never had a top shelf champagne, so I'm leaving the final judgment on that open until I've sampled the likes of a Dom Perignon or a Cristal.

Maybe I'll even try a [reasonably priced] bottle of this blanc de noir.
-- All non-relevant comments will be (have been) deleted!

5 Comment(s):



Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY! that was a drag. i came by earlier but could leave no comment.

oh, and sparkling wines or champagnes leave me a headache......and that is just on a few sips. The sulfites seem to be more concentrated.

08 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, get a really nice still wine. I don't mind a good sparking red but it is a novelty really. I have tried some 'good' and can't see what all the fuss is about. Give me a good cabernet merlot any day.

09 June, 2006  
 


Blogger gieau_sf said...

Schaumi: Yeah, what IS with blogger anyway. And I see you agree with me about the sparkling wine. So that another thumbs down.

Lee: <<..and can't see what all the fuss is about..>>
Me neither (from what I have sampled).

09 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say that I like sparkling wines more than I like champaigne. I have never cared for champaigne. I'm pretty tame in my wine preferences. I prefer German wine to French.

11 June, 2006  
 


Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i loved that movie...i wish i knew more about wines. i am not very fond of champagne...it makes me feel burpy.

18 June, 2006  
 

Post a Comment

<< Home